Monday, April 15, 2013

What if the Bible were a Myth?

This blog post is my contribution to Aprils Synchroblog topic, 'What if the Bible were a myth?'

I'll admit I've struggled to get my head around this topic. As a Christian it's not a thought I entertain.

When I started thinking about it I found the consequences of truth becoming myth are like never ending dominoes. So what I've written here are really just a few thoughts that have found their way onto paper/computer screen.
Some of these thoughts are poetic, some are not. But all of them are written as starters for much longer conversations.

Thanks for reading them.


If the Bible is a myth we might as well pack up and go home. But there's a problem. Where's home?

If the Bible is a myth then God is a myth.
If God is a myth then love is a myth
If love is a myth....we're dead.

If the Bible is a myth then does right and wrong still exist? It could only be defined in our own eyes.
That, in turn, would cause the disintegration of community and the consolidation of lawlessness.

If the Bible is a myth
The martyrs died in vain
And all the world will forever
Live in endless pain.

If the Bible is a myth, then the cross is just two sticks pointing in four different directions but offering none.

If the Bible is a myth then Love, joy and peace are nothing more than three unreachable stars in a vacuum of darkness.

If the Bible is a myth
Then the Church is a myth
And if the Church is a myth
Then who am I?


These are the links for the Synchroblog participants this month:


4 comments:

Jeremy Myers said...

Wow. Great post. Simple, easy to read. Concise. Thought-provoking.

I love it. Thanks for contributing!

Liz said...

Phil - I completely disagree but I love that we get to share different perspectives with one another through the monthly synchroblog. Thanks so much for participating.

PS We do ask that each participant include the list of posts at the end of their contribution. Thanks for adding them as soon as you have the opportunity.

You can find the list here: http://synchroblog.wordpress.com/2013/04/17/april-synchroblog-link-list-what-if/

Chris Jefferies said...

That's a great post and very thought-provoking, Phil. Good stuff.

I'd suggest that one of your propositions is disprovable. Wrong and right have been historically defined by humans in societies that didn't know the Almighty.

Examples include most of the world before the renaissance - China, Japan, India, Persia (now Iran), Thailand etc. As far as I know there's no evidence of the disintegration of community and the consolidation of lawlessness in these places any more than in Europe at the same period.

But I live the poetic approach and the short statements that require the readers to think for themselves.

Please consider posting with the Synchroblog again!

glenn said...

Phil, Thanks for your contribution to the synchroblog. Please add my post to your list:
http://www.glennhager.com/2013/04/myths-in-the-bible-so-what/