Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Swinging on the Vines


It's been a while since I blogged.
Why?
Well, I think it goes something like this. Through out life we face constant change. Some people use the analogy that life is like swinging from vine to vine through the jungle.
  • We move from job to job
  • We move from city to city
  • We move between different circles of friends
  • We move from church to church

Creatively, we move from vine to vine as well.

 It depends on your creative passions as to how far we swing. Some artists will simply change from acrylics to oils while other artists make a bigger leap and go from painting to photography.

Why we change is often hard to pin down. Sometimes it can be simply viewing a great piece of art and our course is altered. Sometimes it can be financial. Photography can be expensive. Writing is not. Sometimes it can be frustration with our work.

Personally, I find myself swinging around the vines of photography, writing and painting. I had always thought it best to concentrate on one and drop the others but that's not me. For me there are, and always will be, times when photography will satisfy my creativity. At other times writing or painting will take priority. It's not a matter of choosing one but more importantly it's a matter of being open to following my passion and, as a Christian, allowing God to speak through my work.

As Paul in the Bible said,

'So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God'  1Cor 10:31


How have your creative passions changed over the years?



No comments: